This week has been crazy. Tom’s in the middle of an insane work schedule. 14 hour days for 2 weeks straight. I have a 4 month old and a 9 year old who is acting more like a 15 year old lately. Its been stressful, I don’t know how we do it. I am so glad it’s almost over.
I’ve been craving sweets all week, but since I cut out dairy and eggs most of my favorites are off the menu. A friend of mine recommended I try raw vegan desserts. So I did some research and found this one at Green Kitchen Stories. I have been a longtime follower of their blog. I LOVE the photography. Just beautiful. I love macro and started out shooting macro with my grandpa’s camera a long time ago. When it came time to take pictures of these brownies I dusted off my macro filters and began playing.
I had to change up the recipe a little since I didn’t have syrup or hazelnuts. Plus I wanted more coconut flavor.
They. Were. Awesome. Like incredibly awesome. Especially when smeared with honey roasted peanut butter.
Raw Chai, Coconut & Pecan Brownies
- 2 cups of pitted Medjool dates
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 6 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bags of chai tea, cut open bags and use tea.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. If you have a good food processor then just throw everything except the pecans in and let it go, scraping down the sides occasionally, until its thick and pasty. My magic bullet didn’t cut it, so I chopped up the dates until very fine. Mixed all the ingredients in one by one with a spoon and then mashed everything with a fork until it was thick like paste. Add the pecans and fold in until they are spread throughout the dough.
2. Press the dough into a parchment lined brownie tin. It should be about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.