I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine’s Day! Tom and I had a great night. I made T-bone steaks, golden mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus for dinner with homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
While cooking I had one of those, “we gotta blog this” moments that I have to tell you all about. I hope you find it as funny as I did.
I rarely cook steak. It’s pretty expensive so I only cook it on special occasions. It’s also because steak is just not that good for you (but don’t tell Tom that is one of the reasons okay!) I decided to broil the steaks, which besides almost ruining my favorite cookie sheet, made lots of smoke from the fat burning off. Every time I opened the oven clouds of smoke would pour out. The steaks looked great though so I went with it. By the third time of opening the door the fire alarms started screaming. Brae started screaming and dancing around the room excitedly while Tom opened the doors and windows then grabbed the gigantic 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft Valentines day card he bought me and began fanning the fire alarm with it. Brae thought this was a great idea and drug a chair and her giant card over to the alarm too. Within a minute the alarm turned off and a thin layer of smoke was slowly flowing out the doors and into the night.
That is until I opened the oven again. When the alarms started screaming Tom yelled, “Man your battle stations!” and bounced around the room fanning the alarm like a wild monkey. Brae giggled delightedly, leaped on the chair and started vigorously fanning the alarm from her perch. All this was happening as I peaked my head around the corner and caught a glimpse of this whole hysterical scene. I am still wondering if the neighbors heard our crazy commotion.
The steaks turned out great, my favorite pan is not ruined, and the rest of the night was fun and fire free. I hope yours was too.